Church History and Information

(972) 563-3562

First Presbyterian Church of Terrell

First Presbyterian Church of Terrell
834 Griffith Avenue, Terrell, Texas 75160

Member of

The history of the First Presbyterian Church of Terrell is closely related to that of the city itself. A Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1873, the year Terrell was founded. It built a sanctuary that was also used by the Methodists, Baptists, and the Disciples of Christ. The First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1876. The present church was then formed by the union in 1905 of the Cumberland Presbyterian and the First Presbyterian Church.

In 1908 the newly united church built a sanctuary near downtown Terrell at High and Rockwall Streets. The present day sanctuary was built in 1958 and renovated in 2003. Beautiful stain glass windows were preserved from the earlier sanctuary.

Terrell's first church kindergarten was formed in 1965 at the First Presbyterian Church. Our denomination has traditionally supported education and First Presbyterian has been pleased that our kindergarten continues it's outstanding work with preschool children to this day.


 

aaaaaaaaaaaaiii